This decadent Sticky Toffee pudding stole the show at this year’s Christmas in July. As a little Julymas gift to you, we asked Harbour View Hotel for the recipe!
- 400g Pitted Dates
400ml Boiled water
- 10g Bicarb Soda
- 150g Butter
- 30g Treacle
- 100g Brown Sugar
- 4 eggs
- 300g Flour
- 20g Baking Powder
For the Caramel
- 300g Butter
- 600g Brown Sugar
- 30g Treacle
- Mix dates and bicarb together and pour the boiled water over and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- Cream the butter and black treacle together in a stand mixer until well mixed, then add the sugar and mix again, beating out any lumps.
- Beat in an egg and keep beating, scraping down as necessary, until completely incorporated, then do the same with the other egg.
- Beating more gently, add the flour and baking powder until you have a smooth, thick batter.
- Using a fork, stir the soaked dates, crushing them, then pour the dates and their liquid into the batter and beat gently to mix in.
- Pour into your prepared tray and bake at 180C for 30-35 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Melt the butter, sugar and treacle over a very low heat in a heavy-based saucepan.
- Once the butter is melted, stir gently until everything else is melted too.
- Stir in the cream, then turn up the heat, and when it’s bubbling and hot, take it off the heat.
- Whilst hot, prick the pudding with a cocktail stick and pour an even layer of the warm sauce over, easing it to the edges with a spatula so that the sponge is entirely topped with a thick sticky glaze.